Wednesday 1 August 2018

Making the games table - Part 2

So the cream paint and varnish went on. A little mixing of wood dye so that the new wood didn't stand out too much. Not looking too bad. But I did hav a couple of issues at this point - when I had reattached the top to the base I managed to split one of the middle edges a bit when flipping the table. Which I compounded when I then tacked the edge back on .... Aggghhhh again! If I can get a short piece of angle edging I might try to replace that bit.
The table in situ and with new mat on - only one leaf up. Looking good - there are a few problems with the table in that size wise it is a bit small for "standard wargames" - being 3ft by 5ft (90cm by 153cm) fully extended rather than the usual 4ft by 6ft (120cm by 180cm). This will only really effect Kings of War and Starship Troopers, as I play Maurice, DBA etc on smaller boards anyway - many newer games are being played on a smaller footprint now. 

DK came over to christen the "new" table (well he came over for a game) - I was hoping to get a minis game on the table, but due to the time spent reassembling the table, doing other chores (watering the pots, walking the dog etc,), I wasn't ready to set up a game. So after a pleasant chat we managed a couple of games of Iron Curtain (2 wins to me) and a play of Odin's Ravens (another win to me). 
I was rather nice to get these to the table, as we don't do many two player sessions anymore or any sessions at the moment. I like these games.
We also discussed GW's new Kill Team as a game for the group to invest in, and the possibility of splitting the cost - as Starship Troopers Mobile Infantry could be pressganged into service as proxies for Imperial Guard. 
Another thought I had was weather (like the better half's book club) pick a day in the month to meet up and play a game(s) - like the first/second Friday of the month .... Obviously this wouldn't preclude other sessions but would make things more regular. The collective will need to meet and discuss and check with other halves. Just a thought. 

Morts 

1 comment:

  1. We definitely need to set a regular date for games.

    ReplyDelete