Sunday 14 July 2019

Shadespire/Night Vaults - Played!

I had a free evening so DK invited me over for a game or 2 of Shadespire/Nightvault by GW.
DK had done his usual very nice paint jobs on the miniatures for the game - git.
Some pictures below.

We played 2 games in the evening - both very close. In both games l was the golden sigmarine (or whatever they called) ranges and DK was the brutish Orcs. The game is based hex gridded boards which you get to pick each game - each one with different placements for terrain, troops and figures. The boards are nicely illustrated and DK had done a top job on the terrain pieces he had - but they are obviously flat. I don't know if it is the mini-gamer in me but I find it a bit odd flat board but really nice minis - I know it's a game and this speeds up set up massively, but in someways you could have card standies rather than figures and it wouldn't change the game at all.
The other big part of the game is deck building - which DK had done already (as he now has other friends outside of the collective - we do need to think of a new name), having played a few times.
There are 2 decks - Objective - where you get get objectives to score victory points .... Which you can then spend, paying for upgrades to buff your troops! You get 3 of these per phase. The other deck is gambits and upgrades. Gambits you play straight away when possible for an advantage and as already stated Upgrades you have to spend a victory point to activate - 5 of these per phase.
The game play rattles along at good pace and DK was kind  enough to let me do some "I've forgotten to do ...." semi retrospective card playing as the newbie ... (Double standards on the "fog of war" rules by me there).

So how did the games go? Pretty quick and close 8-7 to DK on the first - tactical blunder by me charging my last sigmarine rather than shooting .... Slightly lower scoring 7-6 to DK, should have been a solid win to me but I missed DK's final Orc 3 times in shooting and combat which gave him loads a points .....bugger!

With the design of the game part of it is the picking the cards for your deck - which impacts on how you play your warband. So there is the part of the time investment in created YOUR warband as well as the modelling side, but DK has done that for me in this case - but would I do the necessary homework off my own back? Difficult to say considering how long Kill Team is taking, but probably not enough - which is probably why I like games such as Kings of War, DBA, Maurice, Settlers where the picking cards is not an essential of the game - unlike Netrunner which I generally didn't have much  a clue about how to "synergise" the cards to be able to win.

A good evening with a easy to play tactical game - loads of thinking involved. Certainly would play again. Thanks for the games DK.

Morts

No comments:

Post a Comment