Sunday 24 October 2021

DK’s birthday games

On Saturday the collective gathered together to celebrate DK’s birthday. Steedo, Sylon and Snake-eyes arrived early and got some games of Unmatched in. 

Tony the Tiger and my-good-self arrived around 2 hours later (me due to decorating and flu jab) … and the Tiger King (new name for Tony the Tiger …). 

We started off with a 3 games of Captain Sonar. This is a team game, where players take on roles of submarine crew. Captain who gives orders for direction, torpedoes, mines, drones and sonar. The First Mate - who charges and records what systems are available … depending on what the Engineer has used to power the movement of the boat. The Engineer who has to record what system have been used to power the movement - however if you cross off a system - then that system can’t be used. The radio operator who has to record the movement of the other teams sub - so that torpedoes and mines can find their mark. 

We played 3 games - two turn by turn and one real time. The teams were Snake-eyes, Steedo and Sylon versus Tiger-King, DK and myself. I found the turn by turn games the more enjoyable as there were actual tactics and planning which could be done. The real time game was chaotic as you were moving as quickly as possible, as were the other team. A fun game - which I would play again - the results were 3 sinking to my team!

After Captain Sonar we played a game of Skulls, which the Tiger-King won …. Then DK fed us with a very nice lasagna. At this time Steedo left to watch some amateur dramatics. 

We then played a game of Terraforming Mars. 

The game is obviously about Terraforming Mars - each player picks a corporation and some starting money or attributes. My corporation was a green one, so I set about improving Mars - I am pretty sure that I put more seas and forests down than anyone else. Unfortunately these in themselves don’t earn you victory points. The game was fairly close, but the final scores were Tiger-King 60, DK 59, Snake-eyes and myself 52 and Sylon on 46 (I had ended the game with the final forest getting the oxygen level up, but had to leave as my lift had arrived). A really good game with nice pieces - I didn’t get any red burner cards (these seemed to be provide some very good benefits to my competitors), but tried to be consistent with the corporation - even managed to get herbivores and predators on to the red planet. 

A good days gaming and hopefully DK was happy with his lambrini … which appeared to the gift of choice. 

Morts 


No comments:

Post a Comment