Saturday 20 January 2024

Valhalla - dice placement game

My brother has popped over from Denmark for the weekend - so we took the opportunity to try out a game on Saturday morning. I chose to have a go at Valhalla - the game that DK got for me for Christmas. The game is a card and dice placement game. The objective of the game is to have the most points of warriors in Valhalla. So you draw warrior cards which you place on the board - when you attack you roll dice, with which you arm your warriors - the defender does the same and you compare the total strengths of the armed warriors and any cards played. If the attacker wins he places the his armed warriors in Valhalla and takes a shield from the opponent - if the defender wins he can choose to put his armed warriors into Valhalla (in a two player game I don’t know why you wouldn’t put them in), but no shield. 

The game plays fairly quickly, there are some interesting decisions you have to make, the more powerful the warriors the more dice you need to arm and the more points they are worth in Valhalla. There are are various bonus cards and ways to add to scores as you play. We played two games - a win to me 24-13 I think) and a win to my brother 29-28, mainly off my failed attacks. In both games I forced game end conditions by taking all the shields. Needless to say we played with many mistakes - partly down to having mixed in expansion cards in the base deck (I have now sorted them out a bit - I haven’t opened all the decks yet) and not knowing what all the symbols meant - a visit to BBG sorted this to some extent during the second game. 

The cards are of a really high quality with nice art, and we both enjoyed the game (well we played it twice) - I would like to play another again, I think it would work well with 3 or 4 players possibly being the best. 

Morts 

No comments:

Post a Comment