Wednesday 18 October 2023

A Proper Ramble … for charity

The gaming and miniature modelling front has been quiet for a few weeks due to most of the collective heading off to Essen and work being a bit mental and tiring at the moment - also the Kataphrons aren’t really making me want to finish them at the moment - perhaps I will get some mojo back in the next week when I am off work. I am catching up with some of the collective at the weekend, so might see some of their booty and hear stories of their adventures in Germany. 

So what have I been up to? 

Well last weekend I was involved in a monster (well a 32 mile overnight) charity walk across Dartmoor, with 4 colleagues (Gavlar, Guy, Padders and Carlos). So prepare to be slightly bored by my adventure - with pictures. After a day of work we headed off to Okey for a 4:30pm start on the Friday night.

We started at Okehampton station - well Youth Hostel (but they are at the same place), headed across the A30 and onto the moor, heading for Culiver’s Steps - I should say that it was raining when we started out. 

The path down to Culiver’s was more like a river …
The East Okement River was definitely full - this might cause a few problems at a crossing later on …
The weather had started to clear as we head towards Oke Tor. 
The crossing at Knack Mine was not possible, so with a bit of ferreting about we did find somewhere to cross - but it was a bit dodgy. We would have looked a bit foolish if someone had gone in the water - we did loss a water bottle to the rain gods. 
Heading towards Hangingstone Hill - the planned campsite. Although I can’t remember what tors are in the background here. 
The sleeping arrangements for me in a beautiful red light - I made a mistake by letting myself get cold on Friday night and then not being able warm myself up (I should know better - I just done a course on this!). We shared a Chilli and some under cooked rice (which gave a few of us a dodgy tummy a couple of days later). Obviously I survived the night - we had covered 6 of our 32 miles planned - Ivybridge Station was still some distance away. 
Saturday morning at Hangingstone - still a bit dark, well it is 6:40am. 
Looking better on the way to Quentin Man’s - looking over towards Fernworthy and Sitaford. 
Following the walls to Sitaford Tor. 
The Grey Wethers stone circles.
Postbridge … bridge - about 10am. 
Here we were treated to a breakfast bap and cuppa tea by the support team - it was very welcome. After a slightly longer than anticipated stop we headed on - only 20 miles to go. 
The Trig point on Bellever Tor.
A herd of horses or are they Dartmoor ponies on the way down. 
The West Dart River at Hexworthy - after Bellever we had done a fair few miles on the road at about 6km/h, as it had been decided to avoid the stepping stones (due to the dodgy crossing last night). We then head up to the Forest Inn for a well earned pint at 12:30pm. 
The next part of the walk from Hexworthy was tough - the walk up Ryders Hill is not something I plan to repeat - long, draining and dull. The picture above shows Redlake spoil heap as we headed down to Huntingdon Warren. 
The view back back towards Avon Dam reservoir after the climb up from the clapper bridge. Looking nice. By this time 3pm we were starting to flag. Still quite away to go, but we had been walking since 7:30am. 
The over towards Plymouth Sound (but could be Bigbury bay) as we plod along the Two Moors way. This was the worse part of the along the walk - it seemed to go on for ever along the old tramway and my body seemed to be collecting aches and pains all over the place! With about 2 miles left my right Achilles started hurting … but we all pushed on and completed the walk at Ivybridge Station. 
So in total we covered 32 miles over the 2 days and 26 miles on the Saturday - raising about £2500 for new kit for the Ten Tors and DofE. 

I have to say I have never been so knackered - on Saturday evening my leg muscles and shoulders were burning! I’m pleased to have done it (carrying full kit), but I’m not planning to do a walk that long again.

Morts



No comments:

Post a Comment