Saturday 12 August 2023

Kill Team - Deathwatch versus Blooded

Steedo popped over with his Deathwatch to have a game of Kill Team (we really should be better at this game, but we normally have to go through a rules review each time we play - could be because we leave it so long each time!). I thought I would give the Blooded an outing as they had just been painted. We played the scenario Seize the Ground. We left out the Tac-Ops as are preparations were reading out of the compendium, core rules and the moroch books … which always makes things tough. 

Initial deployment saw my 12 man team crowded in the centre against the 6 man Deathwatch team. Steedo won the initiative and started the game well by taking out my Grenadier and Enforcer… which was a bit of a blow to be honest. I did manage to put some damage on a couple of the Deathwatch, but not enough to hurt them, until one got close enough for the melta Gunnar to, well melt him - unfortunately this made the Meltaman a magnet for retribution! However I won the turn on VPs leading 2 - 0. 
Turn 2 was where things really started to go wrong for the traitors to the Golden Throne - hits being make but the 3+ save really helping the marines - the marine leader killed my leader and trench sweeper, but he was vulnerable, and although he took some hit from the stimguy, which would have killed him - he saved them. This meant I had to send out the Ogryn to finish him off - but this left him out in the open! Meanwhile the marines were making short work of the other Traitors - knocking them off the objective makers. This turn was 3 nil to the Deathwatch - overall scoring watch 3-2 to Steedo. 

The picture of the end of turn 3 - and Steedo managed a total party kill! So lots of VPs. The Deathwatch just blastered the remaining members of the Blooded - especially the Ogryn … sad times for me! The game played like a 40k book (I’m reading Eisenhorn at the moment), so it turns of lore it played out as you would expect, the traitors being eradicated, which was quite cool. 
However from a gaming point of view I handled the Blooded very poorly, I didn’t make use of the auto hit from the Blooded makers or Gaze of the Gods (for an auto crit) - the blast damage taking out 2 pretty useful figures early on was a bit of a blow - I think I should have tried mobbing the marines more to use up their actions or force combat, also I was probably to protective of the Ogryn. 
We also need to improve our understanding of the Line of Sight rules, as I still think we are playing them correctly - we try next time when we aren’t so rushed (i was on designated driver duty for the better half). 

Morts 


No comments:

Post a Comment