Sunday 22 March 2020

Pottering along .......

So my work is shutting down for the virus, but I have to go in a couple of days this week to cover and to make sure work is set. I imagine that I have to be available most of the day to deal with things .... This means I don't get lots of time to do important things such as paint little metal and plastic people and play solo games .... I think I will return to the Warriors of Athena Frostgrave scenarios I started ages ago.
I might try doing the labels on the blog sometime (as the app has stopped working on this very old iPad) .... But then again I might not!
I haven't gotten any further with the plastics started last week, but I have finished off some ancients civilians (useful for something I am sure) and a unit of Polish guard for the Saxon GNW army - got to sort the flag.

Both these need a varnish, as do some plastic warg riders (I now have 12 in total) which I picked up to "finish" off the units for Dragon Rampant (or the GW game in Middle-earth), but I'm not too keen on Dragon Rampant at the moment, so I'll have to think about it some more - I don't really need 3 "Orc" armies -
1. Hobgoblin army (very old 80s figures), used for Kings of War.
2. A HotT (60mm frontage) based Ral Partha Orc army.
3. A Lord of the Rings Orc army ..... Which I am in the process of rebasing from HotT to individual bases.
Quite a lot of duplication there, but .....

Also started to put together some of Conquest Games early medieval archers for the SAGA forces ....

Vikings on the top a Frostgrave barbarian pressed into service and Saxons have 3 Gripping Beast Dark Age archers. The figures are interesting to put together lots of cutting to get them to look "right" (having said that I have found the sprues useful for parts on other projects, such as the LotR men), and now require some green stuff to fill the gaps, make sleeves and necks for the GB heads. This lot won't be particularly historical with helmets and the like, but the should fit with the other parts of the armies.

On other matters I almost ripped the derailleur off my mountain bike AGAIN! It's now quite right so I might need to see if Dan the bike man get have look at it, but I completed 16.5 miles on it. ...
I have managed  to read Tolkien's translation of Beowulf ..... Interesting but heavy going - the sentence structure is tough going for modern English readers (like me, just about). Obviously Old English is a totally different language to modern English, the book contains part in actual Old English. The better half and I looked at some of these (I skipped them while reading the translation) and couldn't make any link ..... I did show one passage to my Danish sister-in-law and she could recognise some words .... The Norman conquest has much to answer for.

Off to bimble for a bit!

Morts

No comments:

Post a Comment