Saturday 26 October 2019

A Game of Maurice - First game time in a while

Steedo and I had a quick game of Maurice in the afternoon (with copious cups of tea, rather than the copious amounts of alcohol). As it was the first game in a while, we played with identical armies (no special abilities) and mirrored terrain on each side of the river. The objective was to control both bridges - this was going to be a tough game for both of us.
The game started with the myself setting up first as the defender and Steedo as the attacker. I had set most of my army in column formation (Steedo had set up his whole army at one bridge) - but I didn't have any march cards to change formation or move, so I had to pass on the first few turns.
Steedo managed to get his cavalry across the bridge on my right flank while I still had my troops in column - and fortunately his attack was held off.

Meanwhile I had managed to get my cavalry across the other bridge and held off Steedo's cavalry (having almost been caught in the flank!). Steedo then resumed his attack on my right flank, which eventually led to the the loss of two cavalry regiments each and neither of us holding the bridge. We then returned to my left flank - where I managed to get both my cavalry units into an attack - one slightly disadvantaged my a ploughed field, however I had used the "Confusion" card to drag in one of Steedo's units to equal out the mud. This engagement was a win for my forces! Unfortunately for me we had ran out of cards and the game was called.

The final tallies were Steedo - 4 units lost, one objective held, 7 on the army morale. For myself 2 units lost, one objective held, 5 on army morale (but this was down to Steedo playing "Death of a Hero" twice, for 4 morale off me and later playing "Rousing Speech" to put 2 back on his!). In th spirit of the enlightenment we called it a draw and discussed who might win if we continued - possibly me as I might have be able to get around the back of Steedo's artillery, but the infantry fight would have been very attritional. In retrospect the capture of both bridges without any other way of get across the river made this a challenging battle in which the infantry played little part. Although I think the game played in a very historical way.
It was  really good to get Maurice back to the table - will need to get an Imagi-nations campaign sorted....... Too much to do and too little time .....

Morts

No comments:

Post a Comment