Saturday 17 March 2018

SAGA - Finally to the table!

Well after many years DK and I finally got SAGA to the table - first edition mind you ... 2nd edition has just come out in the last couple of months. 
Anyhow DK and I set up a 4 point force each - DK with Vikings, 2 units of warriors and a 8 figure unit of Heathguard. I was using Anglo-Saxons, 2 units of warriors and 2 units of Heathguard. 
The initial table was with 4 terrain items. 
I had first move and moved my forces up to either side of the woods - DK pushed one of his warrior units and his Warlord up to my Heathguard - in combat the Heathguard are pretty lethal against warriors ! So with some cunning moves DK's Warlord was surrounded and despatched by my warriors! A quick win for me! So another game!

We kept the same organisation and forces - this time DK started ... Much more cautiously, pushing up his Heathguard.... To counter I moved my Heathguard units together... In an attempt to get his Heathguard in a pincer .... 
Unfortunately this cunning plan didn't quite come off - I lost both my Heathguard units - DK's Heathguard were reduced to 1 figure. I then sent out my warriors to try a pincer on one of DK's warrior units - which I did manage but at the cost of "significant damage" to my units. Allowing his other unit to maul one of my units. We also discovered at this time that figures need to be within very short range to count it a melee - something that we had missed/ignored in all the previous combats. Then he sent in his Warlord against mine ..... The final picture shows the result, win to the Vikings and  DK. 

SAGA was a tie for the evening. We found SAGA a challenging and a frustrating game with the SAGA dice not rolling for you as you want - also placing of the dice on the battle boards causes plenty of frustration as you realise that you put the dice in the wrong place for the units you have, or in my case you roll 5 dice getting the the same result - none of which I could use on my warriors. (A 1 in 7776). 
We need to get SAGA to the table again - but we need to do that with so many games.  

Morts

No comments:

Post a Comment