Monday 26 March 2018

Risk Legacy - the 15 game epic is over.

We gathered to play the final 2 games of Risk - Legacy. Were Steedo or DK going to challenge Snake-eyes for the board? Could late entrant Sylon get his name on the board?
These questions would be answered in one epic gaming evening!

We picked the factions and set up the board and seating arrangements - the first game started briskly with everyone expanding quickly trying to get cards to increase troop numbers. Key highlights were DK's muties being knocked out and Sylon trying to steal Snakes-eyes' nickname! Managing to lose 2 attacks where the defender had already rolled a 1. The Aliens did benefit from a couple of event cards which added 10 troops (in total) and a "beam down" to a city next to DK's capital. 
Tragic result of this game was that Steedo, DK, Sylon and myself managed to attack each other again allowing Snake-eyes Aliens win - I have to admit to a "Fog of War" incident here in that in a rush to capture a capital I failed to notice that I had done enough to claim a mission and a victory point. Then Snake-eyes started his final turn and as it progressed I realised my omission - we then had a discussion on if I could claim the card, but this would obviously have an impact on Snake-eyes strategy for the turn. In the end it seemed fairest the play the "Chess" rule in that I'd finish my turn without claiming the mission, so I couldn't claim it. I do think that the best way to play games is to make players responsible for ensuring that they have completed all there moves, actions etc and if they miss something - tough (if it is their first game or a learning game then there is flexiablity on this), part of the challenge of playing games is dealing with the problems other players and yourself pose.  
Anyway the upshot was Snake-eyes won the penultimate game and the board!

So we moved quickly onto the final game with 4 of us playing for pride! This was again a fairly quick game, with Sylon rolling some awful dice - 3 ones in an attack, followed by another 3 ones in the next! The chance of getting 6 ones is 1 in 46656!
The game highlights - well not for me were having my capital and 7 troop garrison wiped off the board due to a event, Steedo destroying his own capital to stop others getting the victory point. The fact I managed to get a few victory points and almost thought I could bookend the board victory list by getting the first and last wins! But kudos has to go to Sylon who with some poor dice already mentioned and being reduced to 2 territories and 2 troops managed to turn the game around with a spectacular come back and win! Everyone's name on the board!

So about 3 years, a fair few hours playing time, quality banter and it's all over - good fun. 
What is next on the horizon for our campaign game? 

Morts

1 comment:

  1. Great games , banter and loads of cock offs. I reckon you assisted at least 4 wins.... does that make you the joint winner?? Perhaps the board hung in your games room if snake eyes isn’t allowed..? Reckon either pandemic or gloomhaven although gloomhaven is much longer and prob best with 2-3?

    ReplyDelete