Sunday 4 February 2018

A quality weekend .....

This weekend I made progress on my journey closer to a half century in years .... Not long to go now.  
As part of the obviously massive celebrations marking this momentous occasion I received the following gaming related gifts - a Viking Ship from my brother which is the right scale for my Vikings - do I make it waterline ....
A Cold War two player game from DK which I need to get a game of in. DK also did his mind games on me ....


Then the considerably better half took me down to Britain's Ocean city to spend a couple of hours at a wargames show. What was really good to see was an impressive Starship Troopers game. 
Above the communications outpost under attack - the insert is there as I have the same APC for my Light Armour Mobile infantry. 

Below bugs facing the main MI compound. 
Below inside the company. 
A really impressive set up - would have been good to see the Tanker bugs and flying bugs hit the table. Talking to the lads running the game the burrowing had started and the warrior bugs were 'testing' the defences. 
Above pictures of an ACW game, Vietnam and a Napoleonic game run by Geoff the grandmaster of wargames who I haven't seen for a few years- so it was good to catch up. He said that he is still painting .... And that his collection is around 15000 miniatures ....
The show its self was good with a good selection of traders but nothing really jumped out at me - I did pick up some Saxon civies and Celt heroes for a bargain price. I was hoping to see a cheap copy of SAGA 1st edition, but nothing doing - so after being Jedi mind tricked by DK on Wednesday bought Risk: Europe online instead. 
As I was with by better half - we headed off to the main shopping area of the Ocean city and picked up some bargains. 

The evening was spent at Frankie and Benny's - which was ok, nice burger but probably a bit overpriced.  This was followed by watching the Post -which is a well acted and put together film (the pace put me in mind of Bridge of Spies). It is a good film but would be as good on TV - there were a couple of heavy handed bits showing how oppressed women were back in the 60's and 70's. Still it was a good film. 

The next day we spent the morning up on the South moor in a cold wind. 
Some cracking views and a really good walk which I would heartily recommend. 
Some great views over the Sound. 

The only fly in the ointment was that I knocked my watch on the floor of hotel room and then forgot about it - when I contacted the hotel apparently it was nowhere to be seen ☹️

Overall a good weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment