Friday evening saw a trip down to Snake-eyes in Kernow. The object of the trip was to play REX the prequel to Twilight Imperium (a reskin of the Dune Board game we played about 7 years ago … a bombardment replacing the sandstorms).
The set up was as below … the production of the game is very good (but then Snake-eyes has had the game for 10 years or so). You can win on your own by controlling 3 strongholds or 4 if in an alliance of 2 or all 5 strongholds if in an alliance of 5. If there is no winner at the end of turn 8 Sol and Hacan have special victory conditions.
The races played were Hacan (Steedo), the Universities of Jol-nar (DK), the Federation of Sol (Tiger-King), Lazax Empire (Snake-eyes) and the Barony of Letnev (me).
The first turn saw Tiger-King made a strange move out of a stronghold to get some influence (this was after I had revealed my intention due to a misunderstanding of moving and deployment…). I swooped in a took it, I also challenged him for the influence and won (although I couldn’t pick much up as I used too many troops in the battle).
The second turn saw alliances being formed - well one really (as because DK kept talking over me, I played a card which prevented him forming or breaking alliances … which as it turn out was stopped the Tiger-King being in an alliance too), this was myself, Steedo and after some deliberation Snake-eyes.
As it was this alliance worked out very well as due to the various racial special rules we were able to swap influence between us (I was spending…), Steedo was getting influence back via the Hacan gets the deployment costs (also the half price deployments cost was helpful) and Snake-eyes was getting paid in the strategy card phase, so we could out bid DK and Tiger-king …
So when it came to the battle phase the alliance was able to overwhelm the other two players, giving them a win by the end of turn 2 or 3. There was some question of the game being broken as the engine our alliance had was powerful - but I think this was partly down to the seating positions and order. We were sitting in a row were able move the money within the alliance without having the others interfere with our actions … having said that we were very generous with DK and Tiger-King as they weren’t in Alliance in the game but we did allow them to discuss cards a strategy in private …
So in a shocking turn of events we had finished the main game early … what to do?
3 games of One night werewolf - got all the werewolves!
Then 3 games of Resistance Avalon - a win for the forces of good when I was Merlin, and then 2 wins for the forces of evil (by killing Merlin) when I was a minion of Mordred …
So I was in the winning team for all 7 games - a good evenings gaming.
All the games I would play again.
Morts
No comments:
Post a Comment