Sunday 2 August 2020

Kill Team - a practice game

I haven’t post much recently - been busy doing other stuff, such is life. However DK has just purchased his own copy of the Kill Team rules so Steedo and I felt we better have a re run through the rules before we face DK’s buffed Genestealer Cultists (and Snake-eyes improved Drukari). So with very little planning we set up the first matched play scenario from the book - Sweep and Clear in think it is called (obviously I could look it up in the book but it is not to hand). It was Steedo’s Deathwatch versus my Primaris Marines (my Adeptus Machanicus have already lost to the Deathwatch so I thought I would see if I could do any better with the Space Marines). 
We set up and remembered the scouting phase - where I was able to take a successful shot on one of the Deathwatch, getting a flesh wound. 

Starting positions.

First moves - trying to go around the flanks (the Deathwatch are after the San Miguel!).

The first turn was the the only turn I managed to win initiative - so I rushed the Reivers and Sergeant forward to take the Deathwatch in the flank, using the Intercessors to provide cover fire. Steedo has a similar strategy on the other flank. Unfortunately for me the Deathwatch put out of action my communication marine. 

The next couple of turns were pretty indecisive  - with cap wasted on rerolls rather than some of the rather good effects that they can bring - this was mainly down to some appalling dice rolls on my part (managing to roll less than three on a number of occasions with more than one dice) - I managed a few hits, but these were saved or didn’t result in Out of Action, just flesh wounds. Steedo was pushing forward to sit on the objectives, my plan was to break his team by the end of the 4th turn for the win. I had taken the risk of flesh wounds on a couple of intercessors rather than re-rolling dice. 

The Deathwatch leader heads to a objective marker.

Into the final turn and there was all to play for. Steedo’s Deathwatch were in a winning position by virtue of having a man on an objective marker. To be fair it went rather well for me two of the Deathwatch taken out of action in melee and 2 of the remaining three with flash wounds. Of my remaining 5 marines I had 3 with flesh wounds. We would both be taking a morale test - Steedo needed to roll 9 or less and I needed to roll 8 or less. If we managed it we would play another turn on a roll of 3+. 

Some success in the Deathwatch deployment zone.

The Deathwatch in the Primaris deployment zones.

So make it or break (literally) rolls were made: Deathwatch roll an 8, so pass .... I roll a 9 so the Primaris marines break! I certainly felt the dice gods were against me .... a pass and we would have had to check for shaken, and that could have changed the game. A another straight win for the Deathwatch we didn’t need to worry about victory points as a my team broke at the end of the 4th turn. However the scores at this point were 4 (1 objective 3pts and 1 OOA) to the Deathwatch and 2 (2 OOA) to the Argonauts.  



Another loss to the Deathwatch, they gave the Machcanicus a slapping last time too, this was a closer game with poor dice for me. I think that I wasn’t that far from a win. What we both need to do is get better at using the command points and picking the right tactic to use with them. 

An enjoyable evening of gaming. 

Morts


No comments:

Post a Comment