Friday 29 December 2017

Last Games of the Year - Kings of War

In what will probably be the last post and game of 2017 - Steedo and I faced off in a smallish game of Kings of War. 1000 points of Hobgoblins (Orcs) and 700 points of Undead versus 1000  points of men and 700 points of Elves. The only restrictions I had placed were no hordes. I was a little concerned that with 4 units of bows the forces of good would overwhelm the forces of darkness - had I got the balance right?
Starting positions for a dominate scenario below. 
 Steedo had the first move and with the speed of the werewolves got into contact with my forward Gladestalkers, surged some skellies through the woods into the other Gladestalkers and then his Skulks wavered my bowmen - I was going to have little to shoot with!
But I was going to be able to flank charge his Goreriders with the Beast of War and use the Knights on the trolls!
The Knights did take out the troll but the Beast of War failed to rout the Goreriders (on the inspiring reroll! Arrggghhh! It was then caught in the flank by a unit of Hobgblins and the leader and it was dead! The Knights were locked in a battle with Hobgblins to the front and skellies in their flank - this went backwards and forwards a number of times! Over on the Elven side of the battlefield the werewolves could not clear out some Gladestakers - mainly due to a heal spell taking off the damage!
Due to poor placement by me or good placement by Steedo I was unable to get my Elven Archers and Spears in the battle effectively - and Steedo was grinding up the last of the men quite effectively with the Hobgoblins - the Skulks probably being the most useful unit on the day despite being the cheapest on the table (excluding heroes). 
The final positions above - all I have left are the Elven archers and spears and the heroes .... Steedo has 5 units and 3 of his 4 heroes. He also has a lot more troops in the middle of the board, so a victory!
It was another good game of Kings of War - the game was tighter than it ended, I certainly thought that  I was going to win for a while but the game provided plenty of ups and downs for both of us - perhaps the best being Steedo rolling a double 6 to rout the Knights only to have to reroll and getting double 1 making the Knights steady ....
The game saw the first major outing of the undead - who did OK. Werewolves fast but seemed to lack bite - the skellies good at holding things up - no waver score and a relatively high nerve. 

Cheers and happy New Year as I probably won't post again this year. 

Morts

No comments:

Post a Comment