Sunday 5 July 2015

Warhammer - Age of Sigmar. My thoughts.

So Warhammer is dead - as we know it. Well I don't actually.
First of all I have to admit the first wargame rules I bought were Warhammer 2nd edition in the red box way back in the mists of time. 

I played them and just used any figures I had generally in large skirmish games and I had a great time - then Ravening Hordes came out and the armies became more racially pure - a move away from my Tolkien inspired imagination of the battle of five armies (pre Peter Jackson). 

I think I played a couple of games with Ravening Hordes before moving off to the world of Hordes of the Things (HoTT) and Historical wargaming. I enjoy HoTT as I can get it to fit with MY prejudices. 
Anyhow I bought Warhammer 6th edition second hand while it was the current edition and managed to pick up the Ravening Hordes - getting you going army lists and the Warhammer annuals. 

I have played a number of enjoyable games with these rules and would say they are superior to the 2nd edition. In fact I am using them to fight out Orc's Drift. 
So I have watched 7th and 8th edition Warhammer come and go - I haven't played them. I have discussed with a friend the rising number of figures needed and bonkers pricing that Games Workshop  use to price people away from fantasy.


I have been watching the leaks and discussion about the release of Warhammer the Age of Sigmar with interest. So here are my thoughts on it.

It's free online so it is worth downloading and having a go with what figures you have got! I will be doing so and having a go - it could be fun :)

The apparent move back to a skirmish type game seems sensible and links back to how I used to play Warhammer. With any figures and not worrying about ranks and stuff. 

I don't really like the "Space Marine" Angels figures - just not my thing.

Keep playing with the edition of Warhammer you like - things don't need to be new and shiny - they have to be fun and enjoyable. I don't get the "I've been betrayed by GW and I'll never darken their doors again" rubbish some people have. I play games I enjoy.

1 comment: