Monday 4 May 2015

Been a busy week

Well no painting done .... Work has gone in the way, as has wild camping on the moor last weekend. Really enjoyed the 40km hike carrying all my kit! Shoulders ached but the pint at the Tors in Belstone was worth it.
On the back of the expedition I have purchased a new tent - will be giving it an overnight test on Friday 8th.

Been to the cinema and seen Avengers - Age of Ultron. What did I think?


It was ok - some of the CGI was obviously CGI - the attack on the Hydra base at the start and the bike chase in Seoul. I think special effects are good when you can't see them.
For me the film lack something - I just didn't really care enough about the characters - which baring in mind I liked the Thor and Captain America films was frustrating - ultimately it failed the achy backside test (for me a key factor in deciding if a film is good or bad). Perhaps it was too formulaic... Heroes fall out etc etc .... Too many characters too care about? Witch girl looks interesting - not sure about Paul Betany's character. 3 out of 5 seems fair - probably need to review how I score films, as this is the same as couple I watched when I was sick.

Legionary 2015

Saturday was the Legionary wargames show in Exeter - probably the only show I will get to this year. It is the first time in 5 years that I have been able to go (as the girls didn't do the Exmoor Challenge). 

I am not keen on the Matford Centre - the smell of dung from the livestock centre next door and the roof was leaking. The place lacks any atmosphere to be honest - I hope the Exmouth Club get a discount!

I was on a tight time table to look around and chat to people (and collect daughter) - took a little shopping list and got some of the items on it - but not all - and a couple of traders didn't turn up.
So still on the look out for some Viking berserkers (SAGA) and Samnite warriors (DBA allies). Rob Broom of Scrab Miniatures tried to sell me War and Conquest - but I want to get DBA 3 to the table and see how that plays - perhaps after Orc's Drift. A special shout out to Forlorn Hope games who opened up blister pack so I could get what I wanted - top customer service!

Some lovely games on show and most people were chatty - a couple of Bosworths and Bolt Action games. Nice to see Star Wars Armada in play.

Unfortunately for me the show was a little flat - possibly the fact it follows a week after Salute means that it can be tough to gamers and sellers to be up for a little show in the South West .... 
I really hope that the lads who organise Legionary keep going with it - hopefully at a new venue!


Breaking news - well possibly not but the sequel to Hawk the Slayer is on its way (as posted on frothers). Will it match the original?

https://youtu.be/3ykit7uiQOk

1 comment:

  1. You need to watch ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ it will restore your faith in films of the superhero genre- also has a fantastic soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete