Wednesday 20 February 2019

Battlelore - a blast from the past

With a break in the world of work and trying to persuade the better half not to spend the mortgage money I managed to get over to DK's for a game of Battlelore .... with expansions!
Now it is a while since I (or DK for that matter) have played Battlelore .... See a previous blog post from I don't know when. This time DK had got the Dragon, Razorwings and Giant expansions painted to much to higher standard for a boardgame......

My initial deployment and opening moves - I had picked the Razorwings as an extra unit, while DK had picked Dragon and his camp for extra points. The start of the game went pretty well for me apart from I didn't have much in the way of Lore points - which you can activate cool things like Portals or Regeneration..... 

The end of game shots where I have finally managed to move my greater demon, but no one near to fight! DK had already trigger the end game phase by getting to 16 points ..... Final scores were DK 17 and Morts 13. Good win for the home team .... Grrrr next time.... So only a couple of years to wait for revenge.  
Battlelore is a nice little 2 player Board-Wargame hybrid thing, with some really clever features - the different set ups with Victory point conditions which the players pick independently (although I think that you could randomly allocate these if you wished) - I this game we both picked rivers - with big advantage for my cavalry.... If had hadn't gotten them all killed rather early on .... Also very cool are the order cards that which only allow you to order troops in certain areas of the battlefield (which puts me in mind of Maurice). As already mentioned the Lore cards which allows the nerf-ing of a unit or even turn (9 lore points but I think it destroyed 2 of my units). Certainly we haven't played enough to even scratch the surface of the tactics for the different troop types and the interactions with the cards in the command and Lore decks - but apart from the set up time a pretty quick game to play in an evening. 

Morts

No comments:

Post a Comment