Friday 25 August 2017

Trip out .....

The family went for a visit to the dreaming spires of Oxford and clocked some good miles walking around the colleges, eateries and of course pubs.
Being a bit of a fantasy literature, movies, games and miniatures fan I had to make sure I visited the Eagle and Child. 
This being the venue of meetings for the Inklings - the group included the big daddy of fantasy literature JRR Tolkien (the man who started it all with the hobbit). 
The reason for the pictures above of the Rabbit Room is that according to Wikipedia (so it must be true!) the Inklings met in the Rabbit Room until the pub was refurbished (I assume the room became a walk through as shown in the picture above so the meetings weren't as private?), so the group upped sticks and went across the road to the Lamb and Flag!
So I followed them and had a pint there as well!
Hopefully the visit to these places will inspire my painting and games!

I will recommend people to visit Oxford as it is a beautiful city with plenty of history and things to see and do - but Cambridge wins as my family come from that area.

Morts

No comments:

Post a Comment